Saturday, December 24, 2011

Cal Christmas card

My little cousins sent us a pretty cute Christmas card. But upon closer inspection, it was clear the card needed a merry-makeover. Happy holidays, everyone! (yeah, even the Stanford kids)







Friday, December 23, 2011

New bandsaw blade

Slicing large rolls of adhesive tape in half.




Saturday, December 10, 2011

New tool: Third-hand parts holder

Very "handy" for holding small pieces steady for soldering. I got it from ThinkGeek.



Sunday, November 20, 2011

Green call button

Getting the call button to register was getting difficult. You had to press extra hard or use the tip of your finger nail to get it to go in. I decided to raise the button a little bit by layering some clear tape behind it, making it easier to press.




Thursday, November 17, 2011

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Ceramic guitar amp with working headphone jack

I'm not really sure what to call this project other than a glorified headphone extension cable. I made a miniature guitar amp in ceramics studio during college. I left holes large enough so that you could plug in a standard 1/4" guitar cable just for kicks. Then I thought: why not make this more functional?






Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Super bright bike tail light

Not really a fix, but a fun little project. I made a tail light out of a flashlight by swapping out the clear lens for a red one from an old reflector.










Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Khang's dad fixes it

My dad swapped out the radiator on my grandpa's Chevy Lumina. Here's a look at the old one. I think the bottom got caught on a parking block or something.

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Rusted deadbolt

After the first few rainy days of the season, the deadbolt on our front gate would get rusted stuck. Here's a look at taking it apart, cleaning, and greasing.





Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Spider hose

The spider hose or breather hose for my A4 was super brittle because of years of heat from the engine. Every time I moved it out of the way to work on the engine, I broke another piece by accident and would have to patch it. After getting tired of patching, but not wanting to spend $80 for a new one, I modified the breather system using $10 worth of rubber radiator hose and steel clamps.




Saggy springs

The original rear springs on my car have really settled since coming off the assembly line. They were almost two inches lower than the fronts. It was apparent how soft they've become when I went on a camping trip and packed the trunk with gear. (check out the first photo)

I knew it was time to spring (pun intended) for some new springs. BMW doesn't sell original replacement springs, and any used springs off another car would likely have settled a lot too. So I got newish aftermarket springs with the lowest amount of drop, and used aluminum spacers to make up for the difference. Now I have the stiffness of performance springs, while maintaining the stock look.